Named after the famous little houmus spot in Florentin, Tel Aviv, where the two producers work. The track also features one of the up and coming DJs from Tel Aviv, Tunymator, who demonstrates his awesome scratching abilities and adds his flavor to the track.
In the past few months I have been working with a wonderful singer named Oshrat Masala. Masala is an Israeli singer of Ethiopian background and her songs beautifully melt her Israeli side with her Ethiopian heritage. I’ve had the pleasure of producing, playing most of the instruments and mixing her first single “So much noise” (Kama Raash), as well as producing her debut album, which is set to be recorded in April 2015. The wonderful Daniel Freedman played drums on this track. To support her efforts to put her music out there, you can buy the album in advance on her Headstart campaign page.
Here is her headstart campaign video (Hebrew) –
For more information on Oshrat Masala visit her facebook page.
Namvula is a London based singer songwriter who has just released her debut album, produced by bass player/producer extraordinaire Liran Donin. I had the honor to be featured on guitar in the first track of the album. It’s a groovy song, with some African style guitars. Listen to ‘Yumya Moyo‘
From Namvula’s bandcamp: ‘Zambian-Scottish singer and songwriter Namvula fuses the folk and urban traditions of her Zambian homeland with London’s eclectic music scene, blending African sounds and rhythms with Latin, jazz and folk into uplifting and emotive songs.’
Listen to the full album here:
I have been working with singer songwriter Leslie Phillips for a couple of years now. We have a great time writing together and performing our original songs. Here is a new song we recorded a while ago in London at Offtape studios. It’s entitled “Spiders“, enjoy!
If you like this song check out the first release, “Dans tes bras” right here.
The song released today was produced by Yuvi Gerstein at the slick studios in Tel Aviv. It features a heavy synth line, a cool drum break that sounds vintage but it’s newly made and some awesome rhymes from Rebel Sun (Coolooloosh). The track has been released on Gerstein’s soundcloud and is a free download for a limited time.
A new song by Yuvi Gerstein featuring vocals by London based singer Priscilla Andersohn has been released. The song has a middle eastern, afro beat vibes with a great vocal performance by Andersohn. It was based on a drum loop by Yogi Shetrit of Coolooloosh.
Listen to “Remember who you are” and follow Yuvi Gerstein on Soundcloud for more of his original music.
Two new tracks have been made by Yuvi Gerstein and released to Soundcloud in the past two weeks. The two tracks are instrumentals and were recorded and mixed by Gerstein at his studio.The first track is called African Resort and is inspired by african music, especially Ethiopian scales and style.
The second track is called Sclater street, is a bit more cinematic, based on some lush piano chords. Sclater street –
Follow Yuvi Gerstein’s soundcloud account for more music updated frequently.
“Psalm is the name of a girl, not a band.” (Psalm myspace page)
Psalm is a singer songwriter from the US, based in Israel. The album entitled STORY, is her second studio album and was released on 25 November 2010. I’m not sure why it took me so long to find it online. It has been up on her bandcamp page for quite a while now.
Here is News for us all
The album was produced by Ori Winokur and I had the honor of playing acoustic guitars on it. We recorded it back in 2009 at Haogen studios in Israel. It was a fun session, I remember playing through the whole album in about two sessions. Psalm songs are beautiful, captivating stories (as the title suggests), memories and quite soft ballads. She has a great voice and her sister accompanies on backing vocals to completes the picture. My favorite songs are There I go again and Songs of angels. Some beautiful cello arrangements were played by the wonderful Hadas Kleinman. I think it’s a great album with subtle beauty and I wish it would get more exposure and reach more people. It’s hard to do that with the overflow of music, which is all competing for our attention these days but do give this one a good listen. This jewel is worth it. Listen to the whole album here, and you could also buy it and support the artist directly.
Phoebe Osborne and Luca Nasciuti are the duo Penniless Cove. Osborne sings and plays piano and writes the songs and Luca plays Cello and melodica. They arrange the songs together and earlier this year we went into the studio and recorded their second EP, which is due to be released in the coming weeks. I had the pleasure of recording and mixing this EP and see it through. All recordings took place at Goldsmiths University studios in New Cross, London.
Here is TinBox
We recorded the vocals live with a grand piano at the same time , and I wrote about that process quite a bit here. The songs in this EP are short stories, ballads or just moments in life and when I hear them they always bring some sort of picture to mind. I think Osborne’s writing and piano playing is great and Luca’s cello just adds a great depth to the songs.
Here is String to your bow
I recently heard that the duo has since become a quartet and is playing gigs around London already. Catch them on their Facebook page for some updates. check out more of their music on their Soundcloud
1. A few weeks ago I released a free sample pack of quirky jazzy guitar samples of my own creation. It was a lot of fun to make the pack and the attention it received around the web was great and quite surprising too. Now here comes a first track based on one of the samples from that free pack. The track called “It’s only entertainment” was produced by Roy Stoler and has just been released on his soundcloud. Have a listen –
2. German software company Ableton has finally announced the long awaited update to their incredibly popular software called LIVE. Live 9 comes after quite a few years of Live 8 being one of the most popular software for new musicians, DJs and instrumentalists. As an Ableton fan and a user of live since version 6, I’m excited about the new announcement and can’t wait to get my hands on the new version. Check out some new features of Live 9 –
and the new controller called “Push” which was also announced today.
3. The Drum Machine is a project (And a lifestyle created by the incredible drummer Oded Kafri. I have had the privilege to work with Kafri over the past year and see him develop his solo act using his Mapex drum kit and Ableton as his controller.
I produced a lot of tracks for him and an EP entitled “Street Life” and helped him promote his project on every aspect possible. In the past year he has also become a Youtube phenomenon with over 1.2m views of his crazy drumming videos. His latest promo film will be released in the next few days and posted here, but in the mean time here is one of his most popular videos (443K) playing a street session on Liverpool street in London.
4. A new discovery I made through the Guardian app on Spotify. It is the singer Martha Tilston, with a voice and melodies which remind me of Joni Mitchel and other 60’s folk artists. Her latest album entitled “Machines of love and grace” is up on Spotify and probably all of the other outlets out there on the web. I think she sounds great and enjoying her music, it’s old and new and fresh and is perfect for me at the moment.
Here is her song Stagg Bellow –
5. Oh and lastly, If you haven’t heard Yuvi Gerstein’s latest remix for Method Man as part of the RZA new film, The man with the iron fists, check it out right here.Please press that LIKE button on Facebook.